Billethead From the Lumber Schooner “Wawona”
Wawona was an American three-masted schooner that sailed from 1897 to 1947 as a lumber carrier and fishing vessel. She was one of the last survivors of the lumber trade on the West Coast. Built in Northern California by Hans Bendixsen, one of the most prominent ship builders during the late 19th century, Wawona was the second to the last surviving California lumber schooner. Her sister ship, the C.A. Thayer is now the only remaining West Coast lumber ship and is berthed in the National Maritime Museum harbor in San Francisco.
From 1897 to 1913 she carried lumber from Puget Sound to California. From 1914 to 1947 she fished for cod in the Bering Sea with a crew of 36. Wawona was berthed at South Lake Union Park in Seattle. Sixteen years later she was purchased by a group of Seattle citizens forming the Northwest Seaport Maritime Heritage Center, hoping to restore her to her former glory days and become a museum ship. She was eventually listed on the National Register of Historic places. The effort to restore her proved unsuccessful due to lack of funding. The Wawona was dismantled in 2009.
This is the original billethead from the Wawona. Original to the vessel and taken off the ship before she was acquired by the North West Seaport group.
Excellent original surface. 75 inches tall, 12 inches deep and 25 inches wide at the base.